Lori Kindler Pottery on Facebook

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Cups of Many Colors



I love this photo at the top.  It displays all but one of my glazes.  I got a commission to make these tall cups and she requested that I use a variety of glazes of my own choosing.  There is something incredibly fun about them.  She has a large family with lots of kids.  I can imagine each kid choosing a cup and always knowing which one belongs to them because of the distinct glaze.  I've had a few other mothers come into my studio to choose different cups for each one of their children.  It is the same in my house with no two cups being the same.

The photo below is the large fermentation crock that I pulled out of the kiln this morning.  I had two in this firing and they are both spoken for.  The bad news is that I had one crack before it even made it into the first firing.  That was heartbreaking because a lot of work went into it, but this is the way the clay crumbles.  I'm excited about these crocks and I plan on making many more.  Every time I tell someone about them, they hand me a new idea for marketing them.  I'm hoping to find the time to run with all of these ideas that people are throwing at me.

Although the cups and crocks are already spoken for, I did unload a number of items that will simply be for sale in my studio and on Etsy.  I have french butter dishes back in stock.  I also have this beautiful raku wall pocket to the left available.  I love this piece, and I am very happy that I managed to get it out of the kiln with my tongs before breaking it.  It was a little dicey there for a minute, but well worth the struggle.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Lori, helps a lot. Looking forward to finishing my prototype and testing it - these pieces do also end up in my kitchen ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Elena! My first prototype needed a much deeper well for the water on top. I still need to make one for myself, but I haven't managed to keep one around...they are very popular. Good luck and thanks for checking in!

    ReplyDelete